Martins Craft Bakery Newton Heath Manchester
In 1952 Richard Martin was joined by his younger son, also called Richard. By the time that Richard Martin senior retired in 1957 aged 63, after 35 years in the business, Richard Martin junior and his wife Pat enthusiastically embraced the family tradition, working hard for the future prosperity of Martins. A third shop was bought in 1958 for just £1750, giving more room for confectionery production at Ivy Street and allowing output to increase by 50%. In 1962 a shop at Failsworth was added to the growing chain and the following year another at Chadderton. In 1965 Martins opened on Church Street in Newton Heath bringing with it what were then phenomenal local bread sales.
Neil Martin joined the family firm in 1976 and in 1978 was followed by his brother Ian. That same year a new Martins shop was opened in Alkrington. By the 1980's Martins was becoming a major presence in Manchester growing from a chain of 6 shops to one of 19. In 1987, after 35 years, Richard Martin retired from full time work and his sons Neil and Ian became joint Managing Directors. In January 1994 the last baking took place at the firm's Ivy Street bakery and production was transferred to the 50,000 sq ft Mill at International House, Newton Heath.
Now with a total staff of over 200 Martins supplies 24 shops in the Greater Manchester area. The family connection is assured in the shape of Jenny, Neil's daughter, who represents the fifth generation and joined the firm full time in 2009.